Current Job Openings
Surgical Veterinary Technician/Nurse
PetVet Care Centers, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading operators of veterinary hospitals for companion animals. The company operates over 450 hospitals across multiple states and employs over 11,000 people including over 800 veterinarians. Since its inception, PetVet has been structured around a model that is focused on developing a partnership between the hospitals and the company and providing the highest quality medicine and service.
Carolina Veterinary Specialists is looking for a qualified Veterinary Technician/Assistant to work in our Surgery department at the Charlotte clinic. The schedule is a 4-day work week with rotating on-call nights, weekends and holidays.
** PLEASE NOTE: All applicants must have at least 1 year anesthesia and/or surgical experience to be considered for this position. **
Responsible for all aspects of surgical department flow including seeing surgical appointments, performing diagnostics prior to surgery, administering and monitoring anesthesia in the pre-, peri-, and post-operative periods, maintaining treatment while in hospital post-operatively, discharging patients, and client communications.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain sterile environment in surgical suites, including bleaching, mopping, and cleaning of surgical tables and equipment
- Properly maintain and use ventilator for patients
- Properly prep and scrub patients for sterile surgical procedures
- Monitor blood loss
- Monitor patient parameters and notify doctor of potential concerns
- Monitor sponge count in the interest of patient safety, ensuring that all sponges and instruments are accounted for properly
- Scrub in, as necessary, with surgeons
- Administer blood transfusions, as necessary, during surgery
- Take proactive role in life-saving techniques during surgery, as necessary
- Properly record patient vitals and trends on anesthesia flow sheet
- Proper bandage and wound care for patients
- Proper handling of diagnostic specimens during procedure and facilitating the proper care and transfer to laboratory including accurate request forms
- Maintain the efficiency of the service by utilizing time management skills to recognize and complete tasks in a timely manner
- Assist in anesthesia machine maintenance
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Qualified Candidates will possess the following:
- At least 1 year of experience as an assistant/technician
- Strong technical skills including venipuncture, catheter placement, general laboratory, anesthesia and pharmacology skills
- Knowledge of normal patient parameters
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to administer and knowledge of medication and fluid therapies
- Ability to work both independently with little supervision as well as part of a team
- Strong work ethic and good organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Credentialed technician preferred but not required of the right candidate
- Working knowledge of ventilator
- Working knowledge of surgical medications and drugs
- Awareness of safety concerns for patients under anesthesia for lengthy procedures
- Knowledge of normal patient parameters for all advanced anesthetic patients
- Knowledge of surgical instruments
- Knowledge medical/surgical terminology
- Ability to administer fluid therapy, CRI's, blood products, and emergency drugs
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 - $25.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Charlotte, NC: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Veterinary experience: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
PetVet is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, religion, citizenship, national origin/ancestry, physical/mental disabilities, military status or any other basis prohibited by law. EOE, M/F/D/V
PetVet respects your privacy and is committed to protecting your personal information. Please see our privacy notice for additional information about our data practices.
Why Consider Our Charlotte Hospital?
At Carolina Veterinary Specialists, our team members all share the same passion for making and keeping pets well.
Our hospital truly is an excellent place to work, with a highly skilled team focused on 'best in practice' veterinary care.
We are very supportive of individuals looking to grow their veterinary careers and look forward to hearing from you.
We invite you to explore your veterinary career options with Carolina Veterinary Specialists, where you'll be a respected member of a team that loves pets and values the contributions from every individual on the team.